Everything about his legendary journey in this world.

17 March 2017

Snappy, the dog who saved my life

Once in a while, we are tested by life itself. If we triumph and succeed, we become better. But if we let the bitterness of the moment drag us down, we will be blinded by hatred… by feelings far worse than death.

“Jim, let me go with you. I wanna join your practice game.”

“Sure… we need a watery boy”

“Well, if you want someone as good as Kobe Bryant as your water boy, then I’m in.”

“Hahaha… You wish”

When people say ball is life, they usually are not that serious about it. But for our family, ball really is life. My father is a retired professional player who once represented the country in the Olympics. My mother is a courtside reporter during her younger days. Now, my father is a coach and my mother is a sports columnist. Their sons, Jim and I, are part of our respective school’s varsity team. Yes, we really love the game, but sometimes what you love can break your heart.

“Kevin, you hurry! Your brother was injured. He has been rushed to the hospital.”

These were the words of my father when he called to inform me about the demise that got my brother Jim. It has been three years since that awful afternoon. When I get to see the crutches that have become part of my brother’s daily living, I cannot stop but curse life for being too bad for him. I myself have stopped playing basketball despite my parents’ disapproval. I hate the game more than ever. I don’t want to let my brother see me inside the court because I don’t want to add more to his sufferings.

When I see my brother pretend that everything is okay, I feel so much disgust. I don’t know but I guess, more than him, it was me who blames the game for what he is right now.

“Kevin, your coach called that you can still catch up for the next season. He said that you are very much welcome to return to the team.”

“Mom, let’s not talk about this again. You know my decision…”

“Well… Just reconsider. By the way, check your room. I have a surprise there for you.”

I was excited when I heard this. I thought mom finally gave me the latest gaming console I was asking. Actually, when I stopped playing basketball, I became addicted to computer games. These games are better as there is no chance that I’ll get injured.

“Wow… a dog!” I exclaimed as I really have been asking my parents for a dog also, but they have been reluctant to give me one.

When I went to see my new pet, my excitement turned into disgust.

“What is this… why are they giving me a crippled dog? Is my brother not enough of a reminder to me of how miserable life can be?” I shouted in disgust.

At first, I did not mind about the crippled dog. The thing looks to me was a failure, a thing that is hopeless. I don’t want to offend my parents, so I just let the dog stay in my custody. The crippled dog would come close to me, trying to get my affection, but my heart and mind have been fixed. It is a useless dog. There even came timed when I would forget to feed the crippled dog for days. But then everything changed one afternoon.

I was at my desk writing a report for school when a golf ball on top of my desk fell and rolled on the floor. The crippled dog ran fast and bit the ball and bumped on my foot. I took the ball and threw it far and the crippled dog brought it back again. This was the start of my affection to the crippled dog. At that moment, I realized that the dog deserves not of condemnation or of pity. A crippled dog does not make it any lesser as a pet. The crippled dog changed me. I realized that if I dwell on the imperfections and forget about everything, it’s not the world that’s failing me, but me failing the world. We live in an imperfect world, and it is with these imperfections that we are able to appreciate more of its beauty.

Now, I and Snappy are close as ever. He is not just my dog, but also my savior. I have now returned to playing basketball and got way closer to my brother. I realized that the world does not end with every failure, with every lost opportunity. In fact, there is always a reason to be excited for tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment